PDA

View Full Version : What strain to pick

GT M4
09-20-2020, 03:59 PM
As title says I will not be getting my discus until November time as tank is still cycling I only want a single strain discus tank as I’m new at keeping discus I would like your help because I’m not to sure what they will look like when adults apart from looking at utube I’ve put a list below of what strain I would like from Mark Evenden site.....Would be helpful if people could vote on what they would have

Brilliant
Cobalt
Blue Diamond
Solid Turquoise
Blue snakeskins

seanyuki
09-20-2020, 04:17 PM
There are a lot of Stendker discus Youtube videos.

https://youtu.be/m2LTKnmqfQM

GT M4
09-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Great video mate but it’s not saying what strains they are I’m a novice at this...love the blues but what would you have

GT M4
09-20-2020, 04:26 PM
I found this and love the colour think it’s blue snakeskins but not to sure
https://youtu.be/ox78LWtHus4

Iminit
09-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Are you going one strain because you think that’s easier ? Here a pic of my flaken blue snakeskin128983

pastry
09-20-2020, 07:00 PM
Single strain tanks are SEXY in my book... but I'm not even restrained enough to choose one so I do very similar strains.

In your instance (and just my idea I'd throw out there), Brilliant, Cobalt, and Solid Turquoise would blend well. Or substitute cobalt for 1 or 2 striated turns.

For blue diamonds, I just love seeing them either with only other BDs OR half BDs and half some sort of yellow or clean fire red strain for a cool play on colors.

Personally not big on SS but I do love flaschens (kinda, sorta similar)

GT M4
09-21-2020, 07:05 PM
I just prefer single strain would love a picker mix of different colours but I know I would not be happy

Willie
09-26-2020, 08:51 PM
Since Mark has Stendkers available, I'd recommend you go with Cobalts or Flachens (Stendker's designation). Although these are the same strain, there's significant variation between fish. They'll all be blue, but the amount of striping, etc. would vary and look good as a school.