PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys prefer powerhead or airpump?

GqyForPay
01-06-2020, 03:11 AM
I recently put in water lettuce and they are going to grow everywhere on the surface of my discus tank. However, I have a powerhead and it is going to push one direction of that plant on the other side of my tank. I recently got a air pump and it does work well, but at the same time I didn't know if it would stress out the discus since the bubbles might be too much(and i am afraid of not having enough oxygen for the tank if I don't put it high) as well as it does not look as natural as the powerhead. The air pump helps me at least not move the plant everywhere and it does keep it kind of still and stable. Any opinions if I should change my powerhead for the air pump instead?

Filip
01-06-2020, 05:56 AM
Bubbles won't stress discus while very strong current of a powerhead can . It's up to your own preference I guess , as long as you have sufficient surface movement .
If you already have a strong water turnover and flow through the tank airbubbler would be better opinion .

dagray
01-06-2020, 12:04 PM
get a plate for an undergravel system, a sponge filter, and a 90 degree elbow. Put the sponge on the bottom of the power head and hook the 90 degree elbow up to the stand pipe on the undergravel plate, then hook power head output to the 90 degree elbow.

now any current from the power head goes from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank.

This is known as a reverse flow system for a power head, and works very well as it moves a great volume of water without causing current.

dspeers
01-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Also you already have it so run the air pump when lights off and you don't care about appearance. Remember plants use O2 as well in the dark and depending on the load can consume enough to stress the fish.