PDA

View Full Version : Clamped fin

Chimama
09-29-2019, 07:00 PM
I just had to take my blue diamond out of my main tank as the aggressiveness from this one was way too much for my others! They were all stressed and unfortunately I lost one due to the aggression!
I took the blue one out when she had another one cornered! I noticed that this one now has a clamped fin with ripped edges from the blue one nipping at it! My other two in the tank also have a few bite marks on their tails from the blue one! But I am more concerned about the one with the injured and clamped fin!
I’ve been doing daily water changes of about 60%. The one with the clamped fin is still eating really good, but I was wondering if I should be adding some salt? Or is there anything else I should be doing?

danotaylor
09-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Some stress coat or salt will sooth them and promote slime coat growth. If you choose salt I would dose low, like 2-3 tbsp per 10 gal, but if you're doing 60% daily wc's with aged water maybe wait a few days as clean water on its own is also good medicine for discus!

Chimama
09-29-2019, 07:25 PM
I use water straight from the tap and add Prime with every water change. I know on the directions for the prime it says more can be added...... should I add a bit more of the prime?

danotaylor
09-29-2019, 07:34 PM
That isn't necessary. Prime neutralizes chlorine & chloramines, and detoxifies ammonia. It wouldn't serve any purpose/benefit in your present situation to dose more.
The low salt dose will help sooth the damaged fins, provide some light antimicrobial effect to prevent infection, and promote slime coat regeneration which will assist the healing process.

Chimama
09-29-2019, 07:36 PM
Thank you! I will try adding a little bit of salt to the tank!