PDA

View Full Version : Local Discus Pair worth the Money????

Gregkarr09
11-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Hey Everyone, So there is this local guy who is getting rid of these two red dragons. At least they look like red dragons, he says they are a pair and lay eggs all the time. I'm not getting them for the intent to breed, I just love this domestic look. Any how I was wondering if you all could take a look and let me know if he is asking too much. He wants $250 for the pair, I'm trying to get him down to $215. He says they are 6-7 inches, I think I'm lucky if the male is 5" but you guys be the judge, thanks.

LizStreithorst
11-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Men always think that their Discus are bigger than they actually are. If I were you I wouldn't quibble with him over the price. The fish are attractive. They have no glaring faults. They get along because they're a pair. They're just what you say you want. $250 for a pair like this is a steal for you.

Gregkarr09
11-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Men always think that their Discus are bigger than they actually are. If I were you I wouldn't quibble with him over the price. The fish are attractive. They have no glaring faults. They get along because they're a pair. They're just what you say you want. $250 for a pair like this is a steal for you.

:D hahahaha Good one. Yeah I think they look pretty nice, probably going to pull the trigger. Thanks

LizStreithorst
11-19-2017, 09:57 PM
I try to be funny but I always say what I think. Buy the dang fish now!

Jack L
11-19-2017, 10:03 PM
$35....not that much of a difference...

Gregkarr09
11-20-2017, 03:47 AM
I try to be funny but I always say what I think. Buy the dang fish now!

hahaha working on it

Gregkarr09
11-20-2017, 03:49 AM
$35....not that much of a difference...

yea you're right

ssevasta
11-21-2017, 01:47 AM
They look really good to me. Also I don’t see any peppering on them at all which is a huge plus if you decide to breed them in the future. Good luck with them.

Willie
11-22-2017, 07:16 PM
You should assume that this pair will not spawn for you. It's not uncommon to have one fish lay eggs - and nothing happens. If they were producing wrigglers, it's hard to imagine why anyone would sell them. If you're willing to pay $215 for two adult discus, then it's a good deal.

This type is an older strain. Newer versions are sold variously as Checkerboards, Red Eagle, etc. The newer strains will probably cost you more, but will have better shape. To each his own...

Willie

DISCUS USA
11-23-2017, 02:40 AM
top first pic that one has giant forehead lump not show quality ..point that out to him see if he folds to your asking price or lesser than that $250 . good luck

ssevasta
11-24-2017, 04:18 AM
top first pic that one has giant forehead lump not show quality ..point that out to him see if he folds to your asking price or lesser than that $250 . good luck

I’m not sure what you mean by a giant lump but a “show quality” pair would cost upwards of three or four times as much. Willie makes a good point about it possibly not being a proven pair unless the seller can provide you with pictures that show the pair with wigglers.

LizStreithorst
11-24-2017, 11:33 AM
The OP said that he didn't want to breed them. He never mentioned wanting show quality. The Discus look healthy and the quality is better than you see offered for sale by most hobbyists,.

Phillydubs
11-24-2017, 11:33 AM
He says "Not show quality" - which is obvious and has been stated that they are nice but no one is saying they are world champs and for the price it doesn't seem as if the seller is marketing them as a proven pair, just says they are possible or pal around and lay eggs, could be two girls for all he knows....
also the buyer isnt buying them as a pair, so as someone said two nice fish for the price that depends on his tank and his taste and what look hes going for

White Worm
11-24-2017, 01:23 PM
We all know what happens when someone has "no intent to breed". Why not spend the $200 on a group of young discus and grow them if not interested in a possible breeding pair? Why was there a discussion about them being a pair and having eggs? I see a post in the future something like..."eggs, what to do" or "trying my hand at breeding first attempt". lol. They look nice and not many here have real show quality discus anyways. Be honest with yourself and really think about what you might do in the future. Many catch the bug and want to progress in the hobby and the natural next step after keeping is breeding.

DISCUS USA
11-29-2017, 03:08 AM
He says "Not show quality" - which is obvious and has been stated that they are nice but no one is saying they are world champs and for the price it doesn't seem as if the seller is marketing them as a proven pair, just says they are possible or pal around and lay eggs, could be two girls for all he knows....
also the buyer isnt buying them as a pair, so as someone said two nice fish for the price that depends on his tank and his taste and what look hes going for

yes i know no one mentioned show quality , merely helping the guy negotiate a better price with the seller by pointing out flaws.

Phillydubs
11-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Did you cop or not?

tonytheboss1
11-30-2017, 12:31 PM
:confused: Two nice healthy adults for a couple hundred & a half seems like a no brainer. "T"

Gregkarr09
12-02-2017, 05:03 AM
They look really good to me. Also I don’t see any peppering on them at all which is a huge plus if you decide to breed them in the future. Good luck with them.

Thanks Sean! I'll update soon.

Gregkarr09
12-02-2017, 05:04 AM
Did you cop or not?

He changed his mind, but I just spoke with him tonight and he said come and get them tomorrow so fingers crossed, I'll post pics of them in my QT tank.

Gregkarr09
12-02-2017, 05:05 AM
:confused: Two nice healthy adults for a couple hundred & a half seems like a no brainer. "T"

Yea agreed!

Keith Perkins
12-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing pictures of them in your quarantine tank.

Gregkarr09
12-04-2017, 01:59 AM
OK got the pair today! They are HUGE!!!! The seller wasn't lying and was hard up to let these two go. Got them for we the original 250. I love these two. They were super comfortable when I released them into their Quarantine Tank. They are already eating. Super happy with these two. What do you guys think?

Gregkarr09
12-04-2017, 03:13 AM
We all know what happens when someone has "no intent to breed". Why not spend the $200 on a group of young discus and grow them if not interested in a possible breeding pair? Why was there a discussion about them being a pair and having eggs? I see a post in the future something like..."eggs, what to do" or "trying my hand at breeding first attempt". lol. They look nice and not many here have real show quality discus anyways. Be honest with yourself and really think about what you might do in the future. Many catch the bug and want to progress in the hobby and the natural next step after keeping is breeding.

From what I've read I don't want to deal with the headache that comes with juveniles. I told my self I would just buy big full grown discus. I have three in my main tank two females one male. Each female lays eggs every 5 to 6 days. he pairs with both of them. I'm guessing he isn't fertile due to the eggs dying after 2 days. Any how I'm new to Discus and want to just enjoy keeping them for a while. I've been breeding Angels for a long time, and have been told that Discus is a completely different game. So I figure I just keep them and take a break from breeding. Might give it a try one day down the road.

Jack L
12-04-2017, 10:29 AM
They look good, nice color

Gregkarr09
12-04-2017, 05:33 PM

Agreed! Got them yesterday. Stoked!

Gregkarr09
12-07-2017, 06:57 PM
What do you guys think? The female wants to spawn on the intake tube, the male wants no part. They seem super healthy and comfortable. My Quarantine method is to just monitor the fish for about 6 weeks and make sure they don't exhibit any signs of illness or disease. I don't like to dose meds if the fish seem fine. However the guy I got these two from is a big believer in dosing metro once a month as a precaution. He said he medicates their food once a month. Does anyone else follow these practices? Wondering how many Discus owner's here do preventative medication.

tonytheboss1
12-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Agreed! Got them yesterday. Stoked!

:bandana: They look amazing!! And you were worried?? "T"

Second Hand Pat
12-08-2017, 11:12 AM
What do you guys think? The female wants to spawn on the intake tube, the male wants no part. They seem super healthy and comfortable. My Quarantine method is to just monitor the fish for about 6 weeks and make sure they don't exhibit any signs of illness or disease. I don't like to dose meds if the fish seem fine. However the guy I got these two from is a big believer in dosing metro once a month as a precaution. He said he medicates their food once a month. Does anyone else follow these practices? Wondering how many Discus owner's here do preventative medication.

This is bad practice. If the fish are healthy, look good and eat great the best medicine is clean, fresh water. :)
Pat

PAR23
12-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Nice fish.....they look healthy. Have fun and enjoy them.

allwet
12-08-2017, 11:49 AM
good catch ,,,lucky you

Gregkarr09
12-08-2017, 02:04 PM
:bandana: They look amazing!! And you were worried?? "T"

Thanks "T"

Gregkarr09
12-08-2017, 02:05 PM
This is bad practice. If the fish are healthy, look good and eat great the best medicine is clean, fresh water. :)
Pat

Thats exactly how I see it too! Thanks Pat

Gregkarr09
12-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Nice fish.....they look healthy. Have fun and enjoy them.

Thank You so far so good