PDA

View Full Version : Neon sapphire with white blemishes

xmas_dude
05-02-2017, 03:41 AM
Hi Folks,

Wanted your opinion on one of my discus that seems to have these white blemishes on skin. This discus is over a year old and very healthy and growing well. Very early on it had single white blemish close to dorsal fin. These blemishes have increased over the last few months and while these dont seem to be causing any visible discomfort to the fish (aka no scratching etc), it is certainly not visually appealing to say the least.

I tried taking a close look (see pictures below) and these dont look like any fungus. It almost looks like the blue color faded/white blemishes in those spots or some kind of injury like someone pecked on the fish.

Any idea what this might be?

Tank: 110G with 25G sump. 84F, 75% WC every 2 days. Housing 10 adult and 4 juvie discus.
Ammonia: 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate: 10 ppm.

Thanks
Sunil

Argentum
05-02-2017, 07:18 AM
This is not a disease. It must be genetic.

I have seen simillar traits in Stendker Kobalts

jmf3460
05-02-2017, 09:18 AM
looks like just his coloration. now I know absolutely nothing about solid domestic fish but it looks like nothing disease related and maybe just his coloration. if it is genetic, it probably should have been culled out.

bluelagoon
05-02-2017, 09:48 AM
If it turns out like this Star Sapphire cichlid.I think it will look awesome.
http://travel.mongabay.com/animals/images/animals_03755.html

DatDiscusDude
05-02-2017, 11:12 AM
+++1 to the above... looks pigment related if you ask me... Many animals can suffer pigment issues, humans included and you will see faded areas on the skin. If it looks acts and appears healthy then it just is what it is... Consider it a unique member of the fam!

xmas_dude
05-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yup looks like some pigmentation issue. Looks very similar to the cichlid that bluelagoon posted (just less dense spots).

On lighter note, are you all saying that there is no "Discus skin cream in the market today and I am stuck?" :D.

tonytheboss1
05-03-2017, 04:11 PM
:bandana: He looks otherwise healthy & bright eyed. Write it off as a unique birthmark & no worries. "T"

Jenene
05-03-2017, 04:22 PM
I really think the coloration is really interesting. I know it doesn't follow what is expected of how he would turn out, but nature certainly does it's own thing! Now that you know he is healthy I hope you can enjoy him. I know I would! ;)

Maybe if the spots fill in some more you could update the photo and share his transformation with us.

DISCUS STU
05-04-2017, 11:35 AM
It's like a skin blemish. I have a little of this on a Blue Diamond. This fish should otherwise be healthy.

Kyla
05-04-2017, 12:09 PM
i was just doing a wc and thinking of ur post. i have a few of areas of similar colouration on a neon sapphire, a cobalt (?) and a yellow checkerboard discus in my tank. ive always thought of them as pretty, shiny freckles.