PDA

View Full Version : Fish poop

Tindale83
10-28-2016, 05:00 AM
Just ordered 10x juvinele discus for the new tank. They come next week after quarantine. My question is about poop. I have 2 bristlenose plecs and 20 cardinal tetras. They been in the tank for one night and this morning there is poop every wher. I mean a lot of poop. Is this the bristlenose on the cardinal tetras. If they pool like this every day what affect will it have on the new discus

Work in progress on the tank

Kyla
10-28-2016, 06:07 AM
its the plecos. they create a lot of waste. u can siphon it out every day and the next day it will be back.

Akili
10-28-2016, 06:18 AM
It is not a good idea to house new arrivals in a tank with recently added ditter fish especially juvenile discus in my opinion.Chances of cross contimination are very high.

Tindale83
10-28-2016, 06:38 AM
It is not a good idea to house new arrivals in a tank with recently added ditter fish especially juvenile discus in my opinion.Chances of cross contimination are very high.

Thanks for the reply, all the fish came from the same discus breeder so as contamination goes it's all the same water etc. Would this still be ok

Larry Bugg
10-28-2016, 07:40 AM
What size are the juvies? I wouldn't do it. Young discus are already tough enough to grow out. We do large daily water changes to keep dissolved organic compounds out of the water because of how it adversely affects young discus growing out and you are adding waste from 20+ more fish to the tank which will make the water just that much dirtier. What size is the tank? Is it bare bottom?

Tindale83
10-28-2016, 02:38 PM
What size are the juvies? I wouldn't do it. Young discus are already tough enough to grow out. We do large daily water changes to keep dissolved organic compounds out of the water because of how it adversely affects young discus growing out and you are adding waste from 20+ more fish to the tank which will make the water just that much dirtier. What size is the tank? Is it bare bottom?

77g and 1cm of sand on the Botton. The discus are 3.5 inch. So would u recommend getting rid of the two bristlenose and keep an eye on the cardinals? I'm running an ehiem 2080 if that helps

atlantadiscus
10-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Throw some Purigen and or activated carbon in that big Eheim, it will adsorb plenty of dissolved organics out of your water column,just be sure to replace it regularly.

Tindale83
10-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Throw some Purigen and or activated carbon in that big Eheim, it will adsorb plenty of dissolved organics out of your water column,just be sure to replace it regularly.

How much purgeon shall I use. I thought just to use carbon to remove meds. So many opinions. Which options best

atlantadiscus
10-28-2016, 03:46 PM
How much purgeon shall I use. I thought just to use carbon to remove meds. So many opinions. Which options best

If you are going to use Purigen,1 bag says it will treat 100 gallons,start there.Activated carbon can be used just to remove meds or ongoing- you will get many opinions on whether to use or not,just like you will get many opinions on how much/often to change your water-remember they are all just opinions based off what has worked for the author- ultimately,you will have to do what feels right for you and your individual setup.Personally,I use both Purigen and activated carbon full time,and do less water changes than many here {about 50-55% every 2 to 4 days},it works for me and my setup and feeding routine,it may or may not work for others depending on their setup and general husbandry.

Ryan925
10-28-2016, 04:23 PM
If you are going to use Purigen,1 bag says it will treat 100 gallons,start there.Activated carbon can be used just to remove meds or ongoing- you will get many opinions on whether to use or not,just like you will get many opinions on how much/often to change your water-remember they are all just opinions based off what has worked for the author- ultimately,you will have to do what feels right for you and your individual setup.Personally,I use both Purigen and activated carbon full time,and do less water changes than many here {about 50-55% every 2 to 4 days},it works for me and my setup and feeding routine,it may or may not work for others depending on their setup and general husbandry.

Well put.

I use a single bag of purigen all the time as well. Make sure you get "the bag" if you are buying purigen in a container. Most other bags cannot properly hold the purigen

atlantadiscus
10-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Good point Ryan! I generally buy the purigen that already comes sealed in its own little bag-the one that says good for treating up to 100 gallons,but put that bag into a second bag {a double bagger,lol} because there are many reports on Amazon of the sealed bag rupturing and releasing the Purigen beads everywhere.Probably more economical to purchase the Purigen in bulk and place in Seachems "the bag" yourself.....will research that,thanks.

Ryan925
10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Good point Ryan! I generally buy the purigen that already comes sealed in its own little bag-the one that says good for treating up to 100 gallons,but put that bag into a second bag {a double bagger,lol} because there are many reports on Amazon of the sealed bag rupturing and releasing the Purigen beads everywhere.Probably more economical to purchase the Purigen in bulk and place in Seachems "the bag" yourself.....will research that,thanks.

I usually buy 250 or 500 ml bottle of purigen from Amazon and buy "the bag" separate. That way I am the one to pack tje bag so I'm sure there is no chance of bursting seals. The bags are tough but the very first one I bought I did over fill and split a seam