PDA

View Full Version : Discus aggressive against other discus..

artursm15
04-16-2016, 06:02 AM
Hello .. today i notice that one of my discus is biting other discus and one of them is stressed out completly he is breathing very rapid and keeps one of the gill shut all the time so now im thinking is it because of stress or is it gill fluke and what should i do should i move it to other tank or what ? its just i have few aquariums standing empty should i fill them up and move the poor guy to new tank but the problem is that i dont have any extra cycled filter !

just notice the poor guy is starting to lay on one side !!!
what can i do to for this poor guy i dont want to loose him!!!

Ryan
04-16-2016, 06:37 AM
How many discus are in the tank? What size tank is it? How long have the fish been together?

artursm15
04-16-2016, 07:35 AM
How many discus are in the tank? What size tank is it? How long have the fish been together?

5 discus size around 5 inch . tank size 30gal . together for a week!

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2016, 07:58 AM
5 discus size around 5 inch . tank size 30gal . together for a week!

Hi Arthurs, do you have a larger tank? That is a little small for number and size of the discus you have.

artursm15
04-16-2016, 08:06 AM
Hi Arthurs, do you have a larger tank? That is a little small for number and size of the discus you have.

yes i have 140gal standing empty and the plan is to move them to 140 after some while !

Kyla
04-16-2016, 08:45 AM
i wouldnt put 5 5" fish in a 30gal.... too much fish, not enough water...

is ur tank cycled? what kind of filter do u have? what are ur water parameters? what is ur water change schedule and %? can u provide pics or video?

artursm15
04-16-2016, 09:08 AM
i wouldnt put 5 5" fish in a 30gal.... too much fish, not enough water...

is ur tank cycled? what kind of filter do u have? what are ur water parameters? what is ur water change schedule and %? can u provide pics or video?

yes the tank is cycled its been running for about 2 month had small discus in it before .im just using sponge filter ..waater changes daily 50% with aged water and add prime!
NO3 : 0 no2 : 0 GH : 8-16 kh : 6 ph : 6.8-7.2
i will try to make some pic .. i just notice the disucs is pointing hes face downwards.

what to do to help them survive should i add some salt to water ?

here is small video https://youtu.be/s0Fwoy8m8bc

Las Vegas
04-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Just get eggcrate and separate in current tank until larger tank is ready. If the picked on Discus is close to dying don't remove from tank unless you see it has actually developed an illnesses. If the discus is just exhausted, do plenty of water changes and he should recover. Good luck.

Las Vegas
04-16-2016, 02:07 PM
P.S. If the Alpha Discus is THE ONLY ONE picking on him or others, you could also consider separating him with the eggcrate. He will remain strong while the others will recover.

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2016, 03:13 PM
I would fill the 150 half full and move fish and filter over. :) This gives them plenty of room.
Pat

Kyla
04-16-2016, 03:32 PM
I would fill the 150 half full and move fish and filter over. :) This gives them plenty of room.
Pat

ditto - with so much more horizontal swimming area the aggression will prob be much better. u can still use a divider if needed

chuckiesmalls
04-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Pat
the simple solutions we so often overlook :)