PDA

View Full Version : Will multiple moves be ok?

kilnakorr
01-21-2016, 01:08 PM
I am wondering if multiple moves of discus will be to stressful or if it will be ok.
The situation is my friend has started up with discus and they are currently in a quarantine tank since 2 weeks. Due to some personal reasons he cannot deal with starting it all up at this moment so it would be perfect if I could take them. Now my own tank isn't ready yet (doing a makeover from planted tank to discus-friendly tank) so we will need to move from his place to mine bringing along the quarantine tank. Then from quarantine tank to my tank. Would it be too much moving? If so, how long should we wait between the moves? The fish are happy and eating.

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:20 PM
If you do it correctly it will not be too much... By that I mean keep steady temps, water params and not jostle them and make the move too hard on them...

You have to think and remember, these fish usually are shipped all over the world in small bags and do just fine...

How far are you from your friends place? Make sure you put tank water in buckets and keep it heated and aerated if its a long trip... But I think you should be fine... Maybe extend qt a bit to keep an eye on them... How many are there, what sizes?

kilnakorr
01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
5 adults and trip is about 30mins, driving safely. Ofcourse water temp and even ph can be match. We will bring along som quarantine water and the filter. Quarantine will be around 2 more weeks after move.
So as long as I make sure water temp,ph etc. are fine it shouldn't stress them too much moving tanks a few times?

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Nah, I don't think you will have an issue at all... I have moved fish when moving to a new home as well as rehouse them during a tank break/leak and they were fine...

Really, you will only be moving them once, from your friends place to yours... the second move is just out of QT so a quick net or hand grab and into their new perm home...

I solf fish and a guy drove 5 plus hrs to get them and had them in buckets with air stones and a heater and he did just fine, so 30 min is a piece of cake...

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Agree with Phil. This should be an easy move. Good luck with the discus and please post pictures. Welcome to SimplyDiscus.