PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys see a problem?

Taitea
06-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Recently, I have been wondering if my discus are full, or bloated. I posted pictures and you guys said it was fine but I still can't help but worry.
It's my little Cobalt and Marlboro that get the swollen bellies. But they still poop normal, eat, and swim around like normal. What would be the symptoms of an internal bacterial infection?
Also, I usually find my Penang Eruption or Ring Leopard hiding behind my Sponge filter. Not turning dark or anything. But they like to swim with one fin until I approach the tank then they approach me. I don't know if this is normal due to the swimming with one fin.
And finally, is it normal to sometimes see discus with their fins not fully erect? Sometimes I peek in the tank and see one or two of my discus having their fins closed partially, and sometimes I see them quickly flicking their fins for a second.
Sorry for typing a whole story and being paranoid, but I really love getting advice and tips from you guys, on how to provide the best care for my little minions since barely anybody keeps discus in my area, and the ones who do gave me advice like "don't feed beefheart to your discus it's bad" or "80% W/C's are too much, do 20% weekly or you'll let your BB die" and when I see pictures of their discus, some of them are badly stunted.

pogyken
06-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Fairly certain I read it here on SD, but flickering fins can be a sign that your water is irritating the fish. Anytime I have seen that behavior I have done a large WC and the fish seem to be far happier.

Ken

Taitea
06-04-2015, 08:09 PM
That's the thing, I do 80% water changes every day..

pogyken
06-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Do you have any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates in your source water? Is there a Ph swing with your water? Well water, tap water or aged water?

Hopefully someone with more than 2-3 months of discus keeping experience can speak up and help as well :)

Ken

Taitea
06-05-2015, 12:11 AM
I do not age the tap water, but I treat with prime and my tap water reads small traces of nitrites. I just ordered some purigen to help with cleanup, and along with my daily water changes I'm hoping to see some different behavior.