PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Discus!?!?

CANAMONSTER
03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Im a long time hobbyist but have never ever Kept Discus!
I think I need a little change and Discus seem like a lot of and are just stunning!

I would love to hear what every loves and enjoys about Discus :)

Thanks

Tips and advice also appreciated.

brewmaster15
03-07-2015, 10:05 PM
I think I need a little change and Discus seem like a lot of and are just stunning!

Thanks

My advice....Run!!! Don't do it!!! lol:)

Just kidding..whats not to love about them. They are challenging, beautiful, graceful. They are availible is so many colors... they have a unique way of raising their fry. and of course they attract equally awesome hobbyists that want to keep them!:)

Seriously, I could tell you much more... and I am sure others will as well.. but until you are sitting there watching a tank of them, its hard to explain.

al

Second Hand Pat
03-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Yup, you should run...they are very addicting :) and there is no fish like them.
Pat

dmheric
03-07-2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks

They are mesmerizing. They are so slow moving and graceful and big and beautiful. I can watch them for hours.
I have my absolute favorites colors/strains.
The raflessias, white butterflies and a deep blue diamond. Red glowing eyes of course.

discuspaul
03-07-2015, 11:44 PM
I'm assuming you're dead serious. That being the case, just do it !
Once you give it a go, and if you do it right - i.e. get good-sized healthy, quality discus from a fully reliable source, and look after them the way they need to be, you won't look back, and wonder why the heck you didn't do it a long time ago.
Should you decide to give it a try, you'll get lots of help here to ensure you are successful from the get-go, and you will indeed be fully addicted !
What do you think you need to know, besides doing your research homework first, to get you on your way ?

CANAMONSTER
03-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Well said everyone!! Thank you!
I'm looking forward to this new world very much! I move in my new place and have a basement to start fresh with!
I have two reputable breeders locally which I will probably make my purchase from. Thing is they seem to only have 2 inch fry. Think I'm good to go with 2 inches for a first run?

Second Hand Pat
03-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Hi Mike, depends on your commitment. Two inch fry will require large, daily WCs and several feedings a day.
Pat

discuspaul
03-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Well said everyone!! Thank you!
I'm looking forward to this new world very much! I move in my new place and have a basement to start fresh with!
I have two reputable breeders locally which I will probably make my purchase from. Thing is they seem to only have 2 inch fry. Think I'm good to go with 2 inches for a first run?

Well, if you're prepared to keep a batch of 2" discus ( which is about the largest sized fish that a good hobbyist breeder will sell) in a strictly bare-bottom tank, do a large daily water change without fail, and feed then multiple times each day, then fine, do it, but don't deviate from that routine for several months until they get well over 3" up to 4".

While doing so, keep prominently in mind that small 2" discus have under-developed immune systems, and are highly susceptible to experiencing health issues if their water quality is not always ideal.

If you want to play it real safe, to more or less guarantee you won't run the risk of getting into serious problems, then select one of the SD proven suppliers of high quality discus - any one of the sponsors - and get near adult, or adult discus of 4" minimum, or larger, and ease your way into getting the good results you're looking for.
Your choice.

CANAMONSTER
03-08-2015, 12:42 AM
I hear ya Discuspaul. I personally would feel better with larger ones. Might hit up Rick from Canada Aqua Farm for that matter.

On a side note how about drip system? Is this used for Discus? If I went with Fry wouldn't this be best?

Its those Alenquer Cuipeua that he has which are quite lovely :) Either way I understand completely.

discuspaul
03-08-2015, 01:28 AM
Didn't know you were in Canada, Mike - are you in Vancouver or surrounding area ?
I've gotten all my discus from Rick in recent years. Can't go wrong with his beauties imported from Forrest !

Drip system ? - some use it for wcs, if that's what you mean - only a minority it appears to me. Never done it, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, especially not for young discus - I may be wrong, but I feel it's too small a quantity of fresh water being introduced over too long a period of time, in my view.

rickztahone
03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Didn't know you were in Canada, Mike - are you in Vancouver or surrounding area ?
I've gotten all my discus from Rick in recent years. Can't go wrong with his beauties imported from Forrest !

Drip system ? - some use it for wcs, if that's what you mean - only a minority it appears to me. Never done it, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, especially not for young discus - I may be wrong, but I feel it's too small a quantity of fresh water being introduced over too long a period of time, in my view.

Paul is right. Especially with small discus where you will be doing large daily water changes, a drip system is rendered useless.

CANAMONSTER
03-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks fellas! Paul, I'm in Ontario unfortunately :) He does ship I assume. Thanks for the lead he seems to have gorgeous stuff on his site!

discuspaul
03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Rick ships right across the country and guarantees live delivery. He has people as far away from him as Nova Scotia buying his discus. I'm fully satisfied, given that he imports high quality Forrest discus from Malaysia, that he's one of the best discus suppliers in Canada.

Keep in mind that there is also a high quality discus supplier in Ontario - located approx. 1 hour + drive north of Toronto, near Barrie, Ont. - Upper Canada Discus (Bob Garside) -google for his website. You may be close enough to drive there & select your discus in person.

nc0gnet0
03-09-2015, 02:26 PM
What's so great about Discus!?!?

All the cool people have them.

DISCUS STU
03-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Unlike other addictions there is no real treatment.

Keeping Discus can be a challenge and definitely not something to get into if you're looking for a casual low maintenance hobby. Most of my fish were raised from very small adolescent Discus to much larger fish so there is a pride in accomplishment when it's done the right way.

Aesthetically they're very pleasing for their beauty, symmetry, wide range of colors, and behaviours.

In regard to types and advice. Check out various parts of this forum as well as other internet resources. It's a lot easier today than when I first got into it with advice given to you by the "the guy from the local pet shop" who most of the time was talking out of his armpit. There really wasn't all that much information back then, today it's very different and all for the better.

Just starting out I'd go with the hardier types to get some experience; Pigeon Bloods and Red/Blue Turquoise. Try starting out with 5-6 1.5-2 inch fish in a 55 gallon tank. Filter types and maintenance schedules can vary but bare bottom, tanks with no gravel, are recommended because Discus, and especially, adolescent Discus are very sensitive to bacteria.

Good luck! It's rewarding but also depends on what you put into it.

aquadon2222
03-09-2015, 09:55 PM

Thanks

Things I like about discus compared to other fish are shape, big soft fins, the "slowness" and grace of their movement, the amazing variation in colors and patters of different strains, and lastly, at the risk of sounding strange, they are much more interactive with their owners than most fish- I honestly think my fish can recognize me, have different personalities, and I can tell when they're happy by looking at them.

CANAMONSTER
03-10-2015, 12:01 AM
This is really great Info! Thanks everyone!
Appreciate all the advice! Time could not be moving any slower as I settle in to my new place in June. By then I will be ready. Juvie Fry I will give a shot first I think. I'm real anal with my water quality so this is nothing new but its more the consistentsy that counts. Paul, I have contacted Bob, he is a real great guy and is half an hour from my home :).

Ardan
03-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Well, for kids like myself, we get to play in the water everyday :D wc's LOL

They can be a new experience, more wc's, keeping the tank cleaner. They do exhibit cichlid behaviors, but in their own way. Very active and excitable when its feeding time. They get to know you and when you come to the tank, they don't mind a snack.:)

Ardan