PDA

View Full Version : Sand

nabilbb
10-07-2014, 04:53 PM
This might be asked already, if so please guide me to that thread......
What is the best way to clean sand in the tank?

Thank you

discuspaul
10-07-2014, 05:08 PM
I find that pool filter sand is easier to clean than many other sands, particularly play sand, which is usually very fine, dusty, gritty, and even dirty - needs a huge amount of rinsing.

With PFS, I simply move a regular plastic aquarium vacuuming tool slowly, about an inch or less, over the sand. Some will flow up into the tube about an inch or two, but then fall straight back down to the bottom.

tonytheboss1
10-07-2014, 06:15 PM
:bandana: Agree w/ Paul. You'll get the feel for it depending on your suction. I too have PFS. ( http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357 ) "T"

nabilbb
10-07-2014, 06:37 PM
:bandana: Agree w/ Paul. You'll get the feel for it depending on your suction. I too have PFS. ( http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357 ) "T"
I already have my sand in the tank, it is fine how much do I need of this for 55G?

discuspaul
10-07-2014, 06:57 PM
If it's fine sand, some will definitely get siphoned up while vacuuming. Try it about an inch and a half or two above the sand, and adjust depending on how it's siphoning, and hope it picks up fish wastes and uneaten food, etc.

You say it's already in your tank - is your tank also filled with water too ? Not sure why you're asking how much you need if its already in the tank. And if it is, how deep do you have it ?

In a discus tank, you really only need a thin layer - no more than about 2" deep at the rear if you have rooted plants, sloping down to 1/2" or so at the front. That may take only around 30 lbs. or so in a 55 gal.

If you haven't fully set up the tank yet, you should really consider getting some # 20 grade PFS, then you'd have clean sand that doesn't need much, if any, rinsing, and it wouldn't get siphoned up when vacuuming.

nabilbb
10-07-2014, 07:08 PM
If it's fine sand, some will definitely get siphoned up while vacuuming. Try it about an inch and a half or two above the sand, and adjust depending on how it's siphoning, and hope it picks up fish wastes and uneaten food, etc.

You say it's already in your tank - is your tank also filled with water too ? Not sure why you're asking how much you need if its already in the tank. And if it is, how deep do you have it ?

In a discus tank, you really only need a thin layer - no more than about 2" deep at the rear if you have rooted plants, sloping down to 1/2" or so at the front. That may take only around 30 lbs. or so in a 55 gal.

If you haven't fully set up the tank yet, you should really consider getting some # 20 grade PFS, then you'd have clean sand that doesn't need much, if any, rinsing, and it wouldn't get siphoned up when vacuuming.
Sorry, what I have in the tank is fine gravel like sand not PFS and no fish yet
I have about an inch high of it

But I an setting up another tank after this which is 55Gallon and considering PFS

discuspaul
10-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Sorry, what I have in the tank is fine gravel like sand not PFS and no fish yet
I have about an inch high of it

But I an setting up another tank after this which is 55Gallon and considering PFS

That's good to hear, on both counts.
If you do get PFS, get it from a swimming pool supply store - (not a big box store) - so you're sure of getting the correct product. I've heard several accounts of some of the large chains selling sand as being PFS and it actually isn't of the quality sold at pool supply stores, or it's not even PFS.