PDA

View Full Version : emperor 400

tanked
03-24-2014, 12:39 PM
I am getting ready to purchase a new filter for my 55 discus tank and am leaning toward emperor 400, but been reading some reviews of this filter dated 2011 ( cant find any current reviews . does any one have any experience with the new emperor 400 and your thoughts of tis product

jmf3460
03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
got one, going strong after probably 10 years, have replaced the impeller once. its easy to take apart and clean, its easy to start up, easy to change filters and access bio/ceramic area, not the quietest filter ive ever owned but I like the noise, helps me sleep, the intake design is nice I think, stuff doesn't get drawn and stuck in easily. overall I am very happy with mine, I run it on a 75gal along with a submersible uv sterilizer and it does great. Replacement parts are fairly easy to purchase.

Kingin
03-28-2014, 01:08 AM
I'm not impressed with the new version emperor 400, (noisy). The original version with adjustable flow was the best quieter. Aquaclear for hob or eheim canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tazalanche
03-28-2014, 07:29 AM
I've been using bio-wheels since 1994 & feel they're great for 10-55 gallon tanks.

For my smaller tanks (20T-55 gallons), I prefer the Penguin 350. With such a small difference in water flow, they're quieter, less expensive to buy ($20 difference to the Emperor 400 at Kensfish today (http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/all-penguin-emperor-power-filters.html)), cartridges are cheaper, plus most of the parts are interchangeable with the Penguin 200 for those instances when I need to quickly cycle a 20L QT tank & can just swap out a bio-wheel. When you find them on sale at Ken's, some times it is more cost efficient to buy a whole unit than a replacement part at your local big box pet store. ;)

For my larger tanks, I prefer Eheim canisters with an ATI pre-filter (http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-pond-pre-filters.html).

For clarification, I have 1 Eheim 2236, 1 Eheim 2217, 2 Eheim 2215, 3 Penguin 350 & 1 Penguin 200 in use at this time. I also use ATI sponge filters (http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-sponge-filters.html). I just retired a Penguin 330 because replacement parts were getting more expensive & harder to find. It still worked, but the impeller was starting to get noisy, so it was going to need to be replaced soon, plus I bent one of the fins on a wheel. Since kens no longer carries parts for it , it's now in our spare/emergency equipment collection.

tanked
03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
been doing a lot of research seems the new emporer 400 is a bad product not like the previous version, and a lot of comments on the noise the new emporer makes , very few go0d comments at all and ive read a lot of reviews. So I think ill go for the aqua clear 110. the fact that the h20 flow is better but with the media box it has I can layer sponge bio and purigen layer . think that will be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the replies and help