PDA

View Full Version : Please Give Advice/Opinions

FishRfun
02-25-2014, 12:12 PM
I have read at nauseating depths and received mounds of useful info about Discus. So with that stated this is what I have or have done. I have a 30G BB tank with a HOB fluval F4 and a large sponge filter in the tank as well. The tank was cycled and well prepared in advance. I then ordered 8 various 2" juvies from a reputable place and followed all their suggestions upon arrival. They have been with me for about 2 weeks now and appear to be growing just fine. I have been feeding beefheart flakes which were purchased from the same place the fish were and is what they were fed while there. Most appear to be between 2.5-3" now but I have noticed there is one that seems more aggressive towards the others but all appear to be ok and eating. What I can say after reading more is that several have what I determined as stress bars. I currently am. changing atleast 50% of the water a day. The water I am changing with is from 24hr aged water that is the same temp if not a hair warmer than the tank water. I also have added aquarium salt to the tank water as a precaution. I will provide my readings out of the tank currently

GH-120PPM
KH-120PPM
PH-Between 7.0-7.5 hard to tell as I used both high and low PH test kit and falls right in middle.
NO2->.5
NO3-> 20

The plans are once fish reach about 4" they will be moved to a 70G tank for final stage of their lives. With all of this info do you see anything that looks wrong and if sk what I should do to correct the issue. Thank you for taking the time to read my situation and take the time to make a suggetion or comment. The only way to learn is through tapping everyone's knowledge.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
All seems ok Jason with the exception of aquarium salt. Why are you using it?

If you are aging your tap water and have a steady PH, don't change anything. I would however invest $25.00 in a TDS meter. Check your TDS daily before and after water changes until you are confident that it is staying the same.

FishRfun
02-25-2014, 12:58 PM
The aquarium salt was just because the fish were shipped and just didnt want anything to have a chance to affect fish. As I have always been told/taught adding 1Tbs per 5G is always a good thing. If this is wrong please advise. Also please e cuse my ignorance but how long should I use the TDS meter?

DiscusLoverJeff
02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Here is the TDS meter most people use.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-Thermometer-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B0002T6L5M

You turn it on, follow the instructions. You take a ready of your tank water, then your holding tank water.

FishRfun
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks Jeff will definitely order one and keep on trucking appreciate the advice.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Anytime.

Come back and update us on your progress.