PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 2 sponges with 1 k1 moving bed?

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a very overstocked 75 gal with 2 #5 sponge filters as the main filters. There are also 2 sponge prefilters running on 2 power heads in the tank. About a month ago I added a moving bed filter with a gallon of k1 media in it (see the filter below). I was going to just remove 1 sponge filter but now was thinking it would be nice to remove both sponges. So for you k1 people do you thing a gallon of k1 is enough for the tank with 10 adult discus, 1 ghost knife and 5 ancistrus? I will of course take one filter out at a time separated by a few weeks.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

blueluv
08-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question. What's the GPH on the pre-filter sponge?

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question. What's the GPH on the pre-filter sponge?

It is 200 gph. The other on the uv is 250 gph.

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Don looks great ...... Man after my own heart.....,Josie

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Don looks great ...... Man after my own heart.....,Josie

Thx Josie, do you think it is enough bio filtration for the tank by itself?

Here is a side view:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/19/6uza6a6a.jpg

blueluv
08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
If you're getting good movement of the k 1 media them possibly yes , but I think Josie would a better answer.

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
If you're getting good movement of the k 1 media them possibly yes , but I think Josie would a better answer.

Yes it is completely tumbling very quickly. I'm going to take one sponge filter out tomorrow and see how the ammonia and nitrites react.

Poco
08-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Don, when K1 gets cycled it will change color to light brown. To me it doesn't look like yours is cycled yet, I would leave the sponge in for now.

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Once the K1 turns greyish in about 4-6 weeks its seeded and you are good to go. It takes a while to get properly seeded but once there works like a charm. It's my favorite filtration, self cleaning and keeps the pirameters spot on no matter how much water I change....Josie

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Don, when K1 gets cycled it will change color to light brown. To me it doesn't look like yours is cycled yet, I would leave the sponge in for now.

Yeah it is definitely light tan right now, the pic above does not show the color well as it is right under the lights. I don't think it is cycled yet but I suppose if I take out one of the sponges it will cycle faster and the other sponge will still be enough bio so no mini cycle will happen hopefully.

Once the K1 turns greyish in about 4-6 weeks its seeded and you are good to go. It takes a while to get properly seeded but once there works like a charm. It's my favorite filtration, self cleaning and keeps the pirameters spot on no matter how much water I change....Josie

Yeah I like the self cleaning part, I'm hoping this filters works out. My next larger tank I will have a sump with a large chamber for K1.

blueluv
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
How do you calculate amount of k1 media to size of aquarium? For example, size 5 sponge filters handle a 125 gallon aquarium.

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 09:59 PM
How do you calculate amount of k1 media to size of aquarium? For example, size 5 sponge filters handle a 125 gallon aquarium.

Its hard to say, evolution aqua gives some guidance but it is more based on mass of food fed per day and percent of fish mass fed per day. Its info geared more for ponds and aqua culture. I'm figuring a gallon of media is enough for a 75 gallon with frequent water changes. We will see. My filter still has room for another half gallon or so of media.

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 10:03 PM

What ever container you use ( I like bottles) fill it up with 30% K1 then after a month put another 10% in and your done. Make sure the flow is slow and consistent. Moving really fast won't work as well. For a size five sponge I would go for a one Liter bottle and use the formula as above.......Josie

joanstone
08-18-2013, 10:04 PM
http://evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/Kaldnes%20in%20More%20Detail.pdf

The above article has some info that might help. I use a tremendous amount of k1 in my sump- 220 display tank with a 100 gallon sump. I have never used it as a sole filtration method though. I think the only way to know for sure is to try it, keep tabs on it and adjust accordingly. Your feeding level is a big determinant as well as your water change schedule. In my QT tank I ended up hanging a net breeder in the tank and loading it with k1 and an air stone. Works great.

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Just make sure that if its in the tank that you have holes on the bottom for flow you want to get the most out of the filter...Josie

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Here is the filter running. I can turn down the flow to slow the tumbling if needed. How does the rate look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPQMb-QWU8&feature=youtu.be

joanstone
08-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Looks good to me. I also keep mine moving with a big submersible pump and I have two long air stones under it as well.

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Looks good to me as we'll.......Josie

lipadj46
08-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Joan and Josie!

Chicago Discus
08-18-2013, 10:38 PM
This tank has a 150 gallon sump for filtration two small chambers one for floss-socks and one for heaters and pumps. The large chamber has just K1 with six 10" airstones to move the bed.i love the way it works......Josie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8BJGH3-bg

Nu2Discus
08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
If you go to diyfishkeepers.com, he has a bunch of calculators. One of them is a bio media calculator. It shows you how much you need of different types of media.

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 12:33 AM
If you go to diyfishkeepers.com, he has a bunch of calculators. One of them is a bio media calculator. It shows you how much you need of different types of media.

Thanks, his calculator puts it at 3.75 liters of k1 so sounds like I am about right.

caffers0
08-19-2013, 03:45 PM
It should do the job nicely. I have 6 litres of it tumbling in my sump and my parameters are all nil. If you can try to get some of the new Hel X media, it works on the same principle as K1 but has a 40% larger surface area.

lipadj46
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
So I removed one of the sponge filters yesterday and have not done a water change yet as one of my pairs in the tank laid eggs and I usually let them take care of the eggs until they eat them. No ammonia or nitrite spike. I am going to give it another 2 weeks and remove the second sponge.

I have the old sponge in the freezer and am going to test and see if the bacteria survives freezing as some have claimed it does.

blueluv
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks Joan and Josie!

Hey what am I chopped liver! Lol! ...jk I'm curious to see if your experiment with placing the sponge in the freezer works.

lipadj46
08-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm curious to see if your experiment with placing the sponge in the freezer works.

Yeah me too. I'm going to let it sit in the freezer for a few weeks. Would be cool if it is in fact true. I'll post up when I do it.

blueluv
08-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Won't the BB turn anaerobic? Dumb question I'm asking, since it's going to be frozen. Just wondering, due to lack of oxygen running thru sponge.

lipadj46
08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Won't the BB turn anaerobic? Dumb question I'm asking, since it's going to be frozen. Just wondering, due to lack of oxygen running thru sponge.

Bacteria have some pretty cool survival mechanisms. I'm not sure what will happen but many have claimed the bacteria goes dormant when frozen or even dried out then can come back quickly when put back in the tank. I want to see for myself as keeping a few frozen sponges would be convenient.

blueluv
08-20-2013, 11:52 PM
They can probably survive 32º . I'm thinking any lower and they'd probably die?

lipadj46
08-21-2013, 12:03 AM
In extremes bacteria can form endospores that are pretty much indestructible. That is the theory at least.