PDA

View Full Version : Lighting pictures please!

hillbillyamber
06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
I see so many cool images online and of tanks here. I spent a pile of money at LFS on lighting for my 180 gallon. I am not overly impressed. Fluval LED plant. I don't think its enough personally. No shimmer. I see those cool, pendent type lights that hang. Anyway to get something cool only form Home Depot or anything or am I looking at $1,000.00 in lighting? I would love to see pics of tanks with your lighting telling what you have going on. I only want to have few plants and driftwood. Right now its angels, hoping to transfer out much later to discus.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
You can try 2 - 4ft T5 light fixtures if your tank is 8ft, if your tank is 6ft you can get a 72" 4 bulb fixture and try that. It is cheaper as you should be able to get one for under $250.00. For plants get 2 10k bulbs and 2 6500k bulbs.

LED's are good for a reef and a non-planted tank, but you are right, for a planted tank it can be on the higher end in price. We have a LED light fixture sponser here,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?280-Build-My-LED-(Nick-Klase)-Austin-Texas

Try them.

Good luck, can't wait to see some photos.